[asterisk-users] New implementation asterisk

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Nov 26 07:50:37 CST 2010

Several questions inline - no answers

Edwin Blommaerts wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have some questions regarding implementing asterisk and my-sql.  I'm
> no expert at asterisk but I'm going to list up my questions and
> hopefully someone will be able to help.
>
> -The people that setup our server made asterisk write the sound files
> onto the hard drive, and then somewhat later store these files into
> my-sql. Is this the proper way to do it? Or would it make more sense
> to just have my-sql store the path to the file? Or is it possible to
> store the data directly into my-sql from asterisk? So in general what
> is the best way to make this happen? Has anyone implemented something
> similar?
>
> -They also claim that for performance and other issues no queries
> should be done on the main asterisk my-sql database, but instead we
> should setup replication between two my-sql databases and queries
> should be run on the slave. Is this needed and why is this needed,
> because my-sql prefers insert above read actions I don't really see
> why? Our current server now shows segmentation errors at boot and they
> claim that this is due to queries on the database. I've also checked
> the query it returns the data to us in less then 3 seconds, so I'm
> doubting this can be the trouble.

How large is the PBX ?
How many users, phones, technology of phones, etc
Hardware platform for Asterisk - CPU memory,etc

> -Sometimes the phone lines hang waiting, people can't call out because
> asterisk seems to be holding on to these lines for a certain amount of
> time. What could be the cause of this?

phone "lines" POTS analog? SIP trunks? IAX trunks?
POTS analog may not be communicating to Asterisk, or asterisk may not be
listening for any  hangup signal, if it exists. What does the PSTN
provider supply?

> -What is the best hardware architecture for asterisk implementation?
> My-sql and asterisk on separate servers, or doesn't it really matter?

Size of installation and amount of data handled with MySQL?

> I really hope to get some advice, because, I've began to
> doubt/question the people who set the server up. I'm happy with any
> information, good references that you can give me.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
>
> EB

John Novack

--