[asterisk-users] New implementation asterisk

Edwin Blommaerts edwin.blommaerts at jfs.be
Fri Nov 26 05:43:21 CST 2010

Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding implementing asterisk and my-sql.  I'm no expert at asterisk but I'm going to list up my questions and hopefully someone will be able to help.

-The people that setup our server made asterisk write the sound files onto the hard drive, and then somewhat later store these files into my-sql. Is this the proper way to do it? Or would it make more sense to just have my-sql store the path to the file? Or is it possible to store the data directly into my-sql from asterisk? So in general what is the best way to make this happen? Has anyone implemented something similar?

-They also claim that for performance and other issues no queries should be done on the main asterisk my-sql database, but instead we should setup replication between two my-sql databases and queries should be run on the slave. Is this needed and why is this needed, because my-sql prefers insert above read actions I don't really see why? Our current server now shows segmentation errors at boot and they claim that this is due to queries on the database. I've also checked the query it returns the data to us in less then 3 seconds, so I'm doubting this can be the trouble.

-Sometimes the phone lines hang waiting, people can't call out because asterisk seems to be holding on to these lines for a certain amount of time. What could be the cause of this?

-What is the best hardware architecture for asterisk implementation? My-sql and asterisk on separate servers, or doesn't it really matter?

I really hope to get some advice, because, I've began to doubt/question the people who set the server up. I'm happy with any information, good references that you can give me.

Thanks a lot in advance

EB

This email is scanned with Mcafee Groupshield.
This email and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then delete this email. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore is in no way liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this message, which may arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard copy.