[asterisk-users] DAHDI phantom pickup when ringing

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Wed Nov 24 20:49:31 CST 2010

Jonathan Hunter wrote:
> On 24 November 2010 01:20, Lyle Giese <lyle at lcrcomputer.net
> <mailto:lyle at lcrcomputer.net>> wrote:
>
>     Post the revelent portions of your extension.conf.  Maybe you have
>     a logic error somewhere.
>
> Thanks Lyle.
>
> My extensions.conf is fairly simple in this regard; I use macro-stdexten:
>
>  [macro-stdexten];
> exten => s,1,NoOp('${CALLERID(NAME)}' [${CALLERID(NUM)}] calling
> [${ARG1}])
> exten => s,n,Set(MBOXCONTEXT=****)
> exten => s,n,Dial(${ARG1},30)                   ; Ring the interface,
> 30 seconds maximum
> exten => s,n,MailboxExists(${MACRO_EXTEN}@${MBOXCONTEXT})
> exten => s,n,NoOp(Got mailbox status of '${VMBOXEXISTSSTATUS}')
> exten =>
> s,n,GotoIf($["${VMBOXEXISTSSTATUS}"="SUCCESS"]?s-Voicemail,1:s-NOANSWER,1)
>
> and it is called with
> "SIP/****&DAHDI/1r1&DAHDI/3r1&DAHDI/5r1&DAHDI/7r3&SIP/****&SIP/****&SIP/****&SIP/****&SIP/****&DAHDI/2&DAHDI/4&DAHDI/6"
>
>     Have you tried to move the set from channel 5 to 8 and 7 to 9? (to
>     see if one or two of the fxs channels have gone bad in the chan bank?)
>
> Good idea, thank you - I will try this tonight.
>

>     It could also be a power supply issue inside the Zhone that tries
>     to 'trip' the ringing.
>

> Hmm - not sure how I might determine whether this is the case or not..
> It only seems to occur on some channels, at the moment.

Thinking on this, if the power supply is going bad, reducing the number
of DAHDI channels in ringing state may help.  I am an old telco guy
having spent 23 years working for the biggest telco in the US in their
CO's.  I tend to think something funny with the channel bank or the
channel units.  Seen that happen many times working for them.

I assume the wiring is good and not 'wet'.  If it was underground or in
a damp environment...

I would go back to thinking chan bank with FXS channel units, not DAHDI
channels.  It will focus the attention where you have power supplies(-24
or -48 volt talk battery and ringing current with trip battery
super-imposed) and all the electronic things that can go wrong with that
and the detecting of offhook state.  It would be easy for the
electronics to think the phone was offhook when ringing, but not when
supplying only talk battery when the channel units or power supply goes
flakey.

Lyle Giese