[asterisk-users] Why doesn't Asterisk project document certain important features of Asterisk officially?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 11:07:40 CST 2010

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering why documentation of some of the vital parts of Asterisk is
hosted on voipinfo.org (unreliable is some parts) and not on asterisk.org?
For example the list of AMI events are not well documented and one has to
guess which version supports which event. The documentation file for AMI for
Asterisk 1.4 is really only a startup guide and it doesn't even provide a
full list available events.

I am wondering if this is a labor tedious job for the programmers or is it a
tactical move in part of a party with some sort of interest? Because the
programmer(s) who does the programming for something like the AMI events may
as well do something known as Copy & Paste (very easy process of pressing
keys: Ctrl+C + Ctrl+V) of what s/he has changed in the source code and make
it available in a text document without much fancy editing even.

This is not to bash the Asterisk project or Digium. Don't respond if you
have a difference of opinion as I am not looking for personal opinions but
rather JUST WONDERING THE TECHNICAL/TACTICAL CAUSE of not documenting thing
that are really hidden from the community and one has to go through a much
manual process to find out about.

Thanks for the input.

-Bruce