[asterisk-users] Recommended *WRT router to run Asterisk?

Mark Deneen mdeneen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:14:09 CST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:42:33 -0500, Mark Deneen <mdeneen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>Are you saying ADSL as in a generic term for broadband router or do
>>you really mean that the router also acts as a DSL transceiver?
>
> Sorry about that. Ideally, the unit should be both an ADSL modem +
> router, but apparently, most of them are just routers so that the user
> would have to turn their ADSL router into a modem/bridge and connect
> the *WRT-moded router.
>
> If someone's been running Asterisk on that kind of hardware for SOHO
> use, what would you recommend? Apparently, those are hardware that
> come up often in forums:
>
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-825
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/wl500gp
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/wl600g

I use the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with openwrt here.  They are great for
remote locations with a few sets -- you can have them hook up to the
central server over an openvpn tunnel.

I have ~20 sets hooked up to one with no issues at all.  That being
said, we probably only hit 7 or 8 concurrent calls at any point during
the day.  Even so, the resources on the router are not close to
exhaustion.

If you do try it, make sure that you do not have the iptables nat
helper module installed.  It's not helping you and causes problems
when the router is the sip server and not hosting a sip client.

-M