[asterisk-users] Recommended *WRT router to run Asterisk?

Chris Gentle gentlec at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 09:02:45 CST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello
>
> For users who 1) don't have a QoS-capable ADSL router and 2) would
> like to run Asterisk with a couple of SIP trunks, I was wondering what
> hardware is recommend to run any of the main open-source *WRT projects
> to which Asterisk has been ported:

I'm running Asterisk 1.4 on a WRT54GS that I picked up off ebay for < $50.
The WRT54GL doesn't have quite enough memory so I went with the GS model.
I'm running OpenWRT on it.  I was mostly experimenting with it but ended up
installing it at my parents' house as a kind of "batphone" solution.  I also
hung a couple of SIP phones off of it giving them a couple of different
extensions, one of which works across a WIFI connection.  Their WRT54GS
connects to my Asterisk 1.8.0 machine using IAX.  Both endpoints are behind
NAT.  Works pretty well for me.

--
Chris