[asterisk-users] asterisk 1.8 fax woes

Charles Moye chazzm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 14:00:12 CST 2010

This does sound like something that should stay on Asterisk-users.

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Jeremy Kister <asterisk-01 at jeremykister.com
> wrote:

> I upgraded from a perfectly working 1.6.2 asterisk installation
> (including fax via app_fax_digium) to 1.8.0 this evening.

So you made sure to remove the res_fax.so module that was there from 1.6.2?
Tried cleaning out the modules directory then installing just the 1.8
modules to be safe?

> All my custom modules (including swift <thanks darren!>) are working
> fine except for fax.
>
> When a caller connects, asterisk switches to the fax context and hangs
> up the call.
>
> i've captured with:
>  core set verbose 10
>  core set debug 10
>  fax set debug on
>  sip set debug peer vgw1
>
> (vgw1 is my cisco 1760 ata)
>
> http://jeremy.kister.net/tmp/fax/console.txt
> http://jeremy.kister.net/tmp/fax/messages.txt
> http://jeremy.kister.net/tmp/fax/sip.txt
>

> I've tried using the packaged app_fax_spandsp and also Digium's
> app_fax_digum for 1.8.0-rc1 -- no difference in behavior.
>
> Anyone have any ideas how I can get this fixed?

Have you tried doing tests where you send all calls straight into ReceiveFax
and disable faxdetect? That may help track down where the problem is at
least. You can put a noop before the call to receivefax if you'd like, but
keep it simple and don't do anything else for this part of the test.

If you've got a paid for Fax license (as opposed to Free Fax) then you can
also contact Digium Support.