[asterisk-users] SIP DNS SRV

Jonas Kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Tue Nov 9 07:33:17 CST 2010

On 11/09/2010 02:12 PM, Gareth Blades wrote:
> Jonas Kellens wrote:
>
>> On 11/08/2010 09:50 PM, Jonas Kellens wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> SIP DNS SRV records are not working.
>>>
>>> My Grandstream uses the SRV records to find the first Asterisk server
>>> to register to. This works.
>>>
>>> But when I shut down the Asterisk proces on server 1 and I restart my
>>> GXP 2010, the phone does not register to server 2... No mather how
>>> long I wait, there is no registration coming in...
>>>
>>> When I start the Asterisk proces again on server 1, then here
>>> registration comes in.
>>>

>>> Kind regards,
>>> Jonas.
>>>
>> More info :
>>
>> [Jonas at jonas ~]$ host -t srv _SIP._udp.sip10.domain.tld
>> _SIP._udp.sip10.domain.tld has SRV record 25 10 5060 sip2.domain.tld.
>> _SIP._udp.sip10.domain.tld has SRV record 5 10 5060 sip1.domain.tld.
>>

> It sounds like the grandstream phones are not fully compliant with the
> SRV standard. They are probably just looking for the lowest priority
> entry and hardcoding that to be used all the time internally.
>
> If you restart the phone does it work?
> It might try the 25 priority entry if it cannot initially contact the
> primary server.

The way I test it :

- Grandstream turned off.
- Stop asterisk server1 (/sbin/service asterisk stop)
- Turn on Grandstream (power up)

Conclusion :
Grandstream does not register. No register coming in on server2.

Finally :
- Start Asterisk again on server1 (/sbin/service asterisk start)

Conclusion :
Grandstream registers to server1.

Jonas.