[asterisk-users] SIP DNS SRV

Gareth Blades list-asterisk at skycomuk.com
Tue Nov 9 07:12:21 CST 2010

Jonas Kellens wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 09:50 PM, Jonas Kellens wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> SIP DNS SRV records are not working.
>>
>> My Grandstream uses the SRV records to find the first Asterisk server
>> to register to. This works.
>>
>> But when I shut down the Asterisk proces on server 1 and I restart my
>> GXP 2010, the phone does not register to server 2... No mather how
>> long I wait, there is no registration coming in...
>>
>> When I start the Asterisk proces again on server 1, then here
>> registration comes in.
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Jonas.
>
> More info :
>
> [Jonas at jonas ~]$ host -t srv _SIP._udp.sip10.domain.tld
> _SIP._udp.sip10.domain.tld has SRV record 25 10 5060 sip2.domain.tld.
> _SIP._udp.sip10.domain.tld has SRV record 5 10 5060 sip1.domain.tld.

It sounds like the grandstream phones are not fully compliant with the
SRV standard. They are probably just looking for the lowest priority
entry and hardcoding that to be used all the time internally.

If you restart the phone does it work?
It might try the 25 priority entry if it cannot initially contact the
primary server.