[asterisk-users] "scratchy" sound on TE410P

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Sun Nov 7 09:57:53 CST 2010

On 11/7/10 9:26 AM, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> asterisk 1.4.35
> dahdi 2.3.0.1+2.3.0
> one span on a 4port T1 card
>
> Got complaints this morning that outbound and inbound calls were
> "scratchy" and I made a few test calls.  It kind of sounds like the gain
> is too high somewhere, and the audio is overdriven.  Is this a problem at
> the carrier?  I'm trying to call them now, but it's Sunday morning in the
> sticks, and my chances of getting someone with a clue are slim to none.
>
> I restarted dahdi but that had no effect.
>
> I watched dahdi_tool as calls came in and out but there isn't really a lot
> of information there.
>
> Sangoma has a cool tool "wanpipemon" that shows error stats and such on
> the span.  Is there such a tool for Digium cards?
>
> Any suggestions?

dahdi_maint -s <spanno> will provide the error counters that are
available for the span.  i.e.:

]# ./dahdi_maint -s 1
Span 1:
 >FEC : 0:
 >CEC : 0:
 >CVC : 0:
 >EBC : 0:
 >BEC : 0:
 >PRBS: 0:
 >GES : 0:

You can see verify if the drivers are adjusting the gain on a channel
with the dahdi_diag tool.  'make dahdi_diag' in dahdi_tools in order to
build it, since it's not built by default.  Then:

']# dmesg -c > /dev/null  && ./dahdi_diag 1 && dmesg -c'

And look for the gainalloc output to see if DAHDI is gaining the channels.

Cheers,
Shaun

--
Shaun Ruffell