[asterisk-users] Asterisk, VoIP and Samsung iDCS100

Ronny Adsetts ronny.adsetts at amazinginternet.com
Wed Nov 3 09:15:39 CDT 2010

Roger Burton West said at 03/11/2010 12:48:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 12:05:51PM +0000, Ronny Adsetts wrote:
>> What hardware would I need in the Asterisk so I could hook up some
>> analogue extensions? Am I right in thinking I need something like
>> an FXO/FXS card?
>
> Yes, this ought to work. If you're plugging phones into the Samsung
> it's providing an FXS interface, so you'll need an FXO interface to
> talk to that; if you want to connect those analogue phones to
> Asterisk, you'll also need FXS interfaces (though as a short-term fix
> it would probably be easier to leave them plumbed directly into the
> Samsung box). Getting four modules (each of which can be FXO or FXS)
> on a single card is pretty easy (I use an OpenVox A400P from voipon,
> following recommendations on this list).

Cool. The Samsung 8SLI card we have in the Samsung PBX provides 8 analogue ports for regular telephones. I'll plug (some of) these lines from the Samsung in to the Asterisk computer.

So an OpenVox 4-FXO card will be on order shortly.

> You could then connect (some combination of) analogue channels to
> (some combination of) SIP phones, and vice versa to allow outward
> dialling.

Brill, that's what I hoped. :-)

I'll configure Asterisk to route each FXO line direct to a named SIP phone so that dialling 209 for example on the Samsung will go direct to a named SIP account.

When a SIP phone does the equivalent of lifting the handset, I'll configure Asterisk to just pass on lifting the handset to its corresponding FXO line.

And, assuming I'm not deluded in some way, bingo, problem solved. :-).

> Once you build the Asterisk-only system, you can use the FXO modules
> to connect to analogue PSTN lines (assuming you have a use for
> this).

Indeed. Even if not, the OpenVox cards are priced such that it's not a big deal if they don't get reused.

Ronny
--
Ronny Adsetts
Technical Director

Registered office: UK House, 82 Heath Road, Twickenham TW1 4BW
Registered in England. Company No. 4042957