[asterisk-users] Asterisk, VoIP and Samsung iDCS100

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Nov 3 07:48:36 CDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 12:05:51PM +0000, Ronny Adsetts wrote:

>What hardware would I need in the Asterisk so I could hook up some analogue extensions? Am I right in thinking I need something like an FXO/FXS card?

Yes, this ought to work. If you're plugging phones into the Samsung it's providing an FXS interface, so you'll need an FXO interface to talk to that; if you want to connect those analogue phones to Asterisk, you'll also need FXS interfaces (though as a short-term fix it would probably be easier to leave them plumbed directly into the Samsung box). Getting four modules (each of which can be FXO or FXS) on a single card is pretty easy (I use an OpenVox A400P from voipon, following recommendations on this list).

You could then connect (some combination of) analogue channels to (some combination of) SIP phones, and vice versa to allow outward dialling.

Once you build the Asterisk-only system, you can use the FXO modules to connect to analogue PSTN lines (assuming you have a use for this).

Roger