[asterisk-users] ADSL Load Balancing

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Nov 3 07:04:22 CDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 03:49 AM, Gordon Henderson wrote:

>> I've got a client with two ADSL connections for redundancy.
>>
>> Is it possible to set up asterisk to connect to one SIP provider using
>> both adsl connections and load balance between the two connections? Or
>> to use one connection as the main one, and automatically fail over if
>> the first connection drops?
>>
>> Or does this kind of thing need a serious network switch?

I use the SG560 (http://www.snapgear.com/index.cfm?skey=1557) to do this.

It handles two WAN connections (going to your ADSL modems). I set the
routing policies so that VOIP goes on one link by default, and
everything else on the other. If one link goes down, everything will be
routed on the remaining link.

(Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to revert to the default state after the
downed link recovers, so I have to add some reboot-modems-after-recovery
scripts in a cron job to make things recovery in an ideal way.)

I think you can do the same with the Cisco RV016, which is cheaper, but
the documentation is poor.

- Mike