[asterisk-users] IAX or SIP - connecting two Asterisk servers together

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Nov 2 15:21:41 CDT 2010

Silver Thorne wrote:
> Hello Folks;
>
> Again, excuse my cluelessness.
>
> I have an Asterisk server in the US - and I want to connect it to one
> in Europe.
>
> Here is my scenario:
>
>    1. call a phone number, my Asterisk box in the US answers
>    2. perhaps a 'please wait' voice message
>    3. it dials an extension on the other Asterisk box in Europe.
>
> I am not looking for someone to do this for me, I am just not really
> sure how to get started. Perhaps some suggested reading, examples, etc?
>
> Any help at all would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Glen

This is fairly easy to do, and works well using the IAX protocol. There
are a group of some 100-200 nodes worldwide doing something similar
connecting electromechanical switches and collectors ( think amateur
radio without the radio )
The way we are doing it wouldn't help you too much as we have a central
reference point for line numbers, but there are nodes from NZ to the UK
to the US that are interconnected on an as needed basis. Our  dialplan
is based on ( in the US ) the NANP with no NPA, and outside the US
existing country codes. We have had some amusing examples of hackers
that have managed to break in and thinking they have PSTN access, ended
up with some ( to them ) surprises. Call setup times are short, 1-2
seconds generally, so I doubt you would even need a "please wait" recording.
See ckts.info for more information on the network and some coding
examples that might help.

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot