[asterisk-users] "ring splash"

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Wed May 26 15:31:06 CDT 2010

On 5/26/2010 1:16 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:
> ----- "Jeff LaCoursiere"<jeff at jeff.net>  wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010, Brent Davidson wrote:
>>

>>> Just set the POTS lines to answer after a second ring rather than
>>>
>> after
>>
>>> the first.  Problem solved.
>>>
>> Now that sounds like a good plan.  But a quick look through the
>> options in
>> zapata.conf don't show any kind of option for waiting before pickup.
>>
> It would be in your dialplan. (Untested, OTMH, etc) Dialplan:
>
> [from-analog-lines]
> exten =>  s,1,Wait(2)
> exten =>  s,n,Answer()
> exten =>  s,n,Play(tt-monkeys)
> exten =>  h,1,Hangup()
>
> Again, that is untested, just off the top of my head. The key is putting a "wait" before your Answer(). A phantom ring/ring splash should fade away before the Wait() period is finished, therefore not hitting your Answer() or Dial() or whatever you have causing all sorts of panic and grief. :-)
>
> --Tim

I was thinking there was a way to directly set the number of rings
before the system picked up the call, but it looks like Tim is right.
The "Wait" statement before the answer appears to be the only way to
handle this.  I actually used this technique to deal with some phantom
rings that were occurring at one of my branch offices.  The Telco had
the switch set up to periodically test the line (like every 30 minutes)
and Asterisk was detecting those test pulses as a ring and answering the
call, then passing it on into the operator queue before the system could
detect the hang-up.  The poor lady at that office nearly had a nervous
breakdown before I figured out how to filter out the phantom calls with
the wait command.