[asterisk-users] Question about 1.6: multiple IP on a single Asterisk box / multi ISP routing

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Fri May 21 14:16:53 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'm still on 1.4 and am wondering if 1.6 would fix an issue for me.
Specifically, I have been given the impression that, in contrast to 1.4
which always sends packet from the default IP (if the server has multiple
IPs), 1.6 sends packets back from the IP address that was used by the peers.

i.e.: On a server with two NICs:

eth0 192.168.1.2

eth1 192.168.1.3

If a peer registers to 192.168.1.3, he will get packets back from
192.168.1.3.

If a peer uses 192.168.1.2 instead, he will get packets back from
192.168.1.2.

.In effect, hiding the fact that this is the same system (And more to the
point, allowing easy outgoing routing based on which NIC was used).

Am I correct?

Bonus question if I am indeed correct: how stable is 1.6 right now, compared
to the latest 1.4 (1.4.31)?

Mike