[asterisk-users] Connecting 1-2 GSM ports to asterisk?

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta at gmail.com
Fri May 21 09:19:09 CDT 2010

Hi, List,
I am looking for a cheapest (and therefore most funny) way to attach
GSM card to my asterisk home box.
Needed features:
Calls+SMS in/out
one or two SIM cards (ports)

Should I try looking for a GSM PCI card that is compatible with
linux/asterisk, or GSM USB card, or modern full-blown SIP GSM gateway
(with ethernet)? Maybe an ordinary cell phone with USB interface and
mangling with asterisk is more reasonable? ;)

If it's 20$ difference, interenet (3G/GPRS/EDGE...) ability over
gateway would be nice. Why? 3 more nights of funny games and headbangs
+ theoretical network failover (hmm since half a year my home has 100%
connectivity, tested with nagios. But for the record - I have GSM
failover...) :-)

What are the options? Any phones I should avoid?
Maybe anyone of you have done something by yourself? :)

Best wishes, have a nice weekend!
Motiejus