[asterisk-users] Sometimes called party answers, but callee keep hear ringing, called party hears nothing!

Raimund Sacherer rs at runsolutions.com
Mon May 10 07:46:02 CDT 2010

Hi,

As mentioned we have the problem that sometimes (could be up to a view times a day) for the calling party (SIP Device) you here ringing. The called party however answered the phone, but hears nothing. The calling party keeps ringing until the phone is hangup.

First I thought maybe the card or the server has a problem, so I changed from a PCI beronet 4bri to a Junghanns 4bri PCIexpress and changed the server (as it was on a spare server anyway) from an old HP ProLiant DL360 G3 to an Dell PowerEdge 1850 with PCIe riser card.

But the issue remains, it never occured with the old Siemens Hipath 3000! There are approx. 14 active phones and 6 analog devices connected to a Sipura SPA 3000. The Problem originates from the SIP Phones (can not tell about the analog devices, but they are, from asterisk standpoint, SIP as well). I experienced this behavior a few times as well.

Log entries show nothing peculiar, but I also do not have Zap/Dahdi debugging active. The call get's passed to the DAHDI Device and there are no further indications of problems.

Please tell me if more information is needed to fix this behavior, as this is in my experience not normal (other Asterisk solutions I administrate work fine). We are located in Spain, if this matters.

we have an ubuntu server 32bit, stock ubuntu asterisk and dahdi:

asterisk, 1:1.6.2.5-0ubuntu1
dahdi, 1:2.2.1-0ubuntu2

We have 4 ISDN lines, currently 3 lines connected.

Some are connected as bri_cpe (from the former input to a Siemens HiPath 3000), and some as bri_cpe_ptmp.
Span 2 currently not connected.

Span configuration:
; Span 1: B4/0/1 "B4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 1" (MASTER) AMI/CCS
group=0,11
context=from-zaptel
switchtype = euroisdn
signalling = bri_cpe
channel => 1-2
context = default
group = 63

; Span 2: B4/0/2 "B4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 2" AMI/CCS RED
group=0,12
context=from-zaptel
switchtype = euroisdn
signalling = bri_cpe_ptmp
channel => 4-5
context = default
group = 63

; Span 3: B4/0/3 "B4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 3" AMI/CCS
group=0,13
context=from-zaptel
switchtype = euroisdn
signalling = bri_cpe
channel => 7-8
context = default
group = 63

; Span 4: B4/0/4 "B4XXP (PCI) Card 0 Span 4" AMI/CCS
group=0,14
context=from-zaptel
switchtype = euroisdn
signalling = bri_cpe_ptmp
channel => 10-11
context = default
group = 63

; Span 5: DAHDI_DUMMY/1 "DAHDI_DUMMY/1 (source: HRtimer) 1"

Best,
Ray