[asterisk-users] Simulating a commercial SIP provider

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.to
Mon May 10 06:57:01 CDT 2010

Hi all,

The kind of configuration that I use in my sip.conf to connect to
various commercial SIP providers looks like this:

    [general]
    context=incoming-calls
    canreinvite=no
    qualify=yes
    register => jwinius:passwrd at sip.provider.com/0201234567

    [provider]
    type=peer
    host=sip.provider.com
    fromuser=jwinius
    secret=passwrd

This works. However, how would I have to configure the sip.conf of a
second Asterisk machine if I wanted to use it to simulate the host
mentioned above, sip.provider.com, but (crucially) without changing
the above configuration?

I would have thought that the appropriate stanza to use for my account
in the other Asterisk machine's sip.conf -- the system that simulates
the commercial SIP provider -- would have to look like this:

    [jwinius]
    type=friend
    host=dynamic
    secret=passwrd
    insecure=invite

Unfortunately, this doesn't work, resulting "Failed to authenticate on
INVITE" errors. It only works if I first remove the "fromuser" and
"secret" options from the configuration on the first system, but
that's not what I want.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jaap