[asterisk-users] Questions About Fax for Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Fri May 7 19:15:30 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Martin <asterisklist at callthem.info> wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Steve Totaro
> <stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:
> > Yes, I purchased licenses for Fax for Asterisk and yes I called tech
> support
> > and had the WORST experience I have ever had with any technical support
> > call.
> >
> > I am running Asterisk 1.6.2.6 and:
> >
> > FAX For Asterisk Components:
> >         Applications: 1.6.2.0_1.2.0
> > voipgw01Digium FAX Driver: 1.6.2.0_1.2.0 (optimized for c3_2_32)
> >
> > The guy was arrogant and absolutely a jerk and I don't like to call
> people
> > names, but call it as I see it.  This has not been my experience the five
> or
> > six times I have had to call Digium over the years, but it has been many
> > years since my last call so I have no idea what the general support staff
> is
> > like.
> >
> > I could not get any questions answered by the tech that took hours to
> call
> > me back to tell me to read the readme.  That would be all well and good
> if I
> > didn't pay money.
> >
> > He could not explain Digium's math as far as faxing and failed to offer
> > get back to me with any kind of answer.
> >
> > Maybe someone on the list can make sense of this Enron style of
> accounting:
> >
> > voipgw01*CLI> fax show stats
> > voipgw01*CLI>
> > FAX Statistics:
> > ---------------
> >
> > Current Sessions     : 1
> > Transmit Attempts    : 0
> > Receive Attempts     : 336
> > Completed FAXes      : 320
> > Failed FAXes         : 57
> >
> > Digium G.711
> > Licensed Channels    : 4
> > Max Concurrent       : 1
> > Success              : 0
> > Switched to T.38     : 0
> > Canceled             : 0
> > No FAX               : 1
> > Partial              : 0
> > Negotiation Failed   : 0
> > Train Failure        : 3
> > Protocol Error       : 0
> > IO Partial           : 0
> > IO Fail              : 0
> > voipgw01*CLI>
> > Digium T.38
> > Licensed Channels    : 4
> > Max Concurrent       : 4
> > Success              : 175
> > Canceled             : 0
> > No FAX               : 6
> > Partial              : 19
> > Negotiation Failed   : 0
> > Train Failure        : 83
> > Protocol Error       : 33
> > IO Partial           : 0
> > IO Fail              : 0
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve Totaro
>

> wow definitely the acc"counting" engine is broken ...
>
> I can only make sense of this
>
> > Receive Attempts     : 336
> > Completed FAXes      : 320
> [...]
Considering that this is a direct cross connect from Leve3's cage to my my
cage in the same DC at an Equinix facility, 100Mb DIA w/EIPT VoIP service, I
would expect nearly 100% success.

Considering the circuit was just turned up and there is no data except
Level3's phone traffic.  They are our carrier, RespOrg, origination and
termination, no 3rd parties, all on net.

I could understand if it was a peaked out DIA circuit to some cut rate VoIP
provider, but not under "perfect" circumstances.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro