[asterisk-users] 24 FXS Port Voip Gateway and Asterisk

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 09:43:42 CDT 2010

Another option is to tie in a legacy 2-wire PBX with Asterisk instead of going pure analog

This allows you to reuse your single-pair infrastructure, while achieving MOST of the functionality of a pure-ip endpoint deployment with only a very moderate incremental cost over a pure-analog deployment.  The upside is that you can get things that the analog devices can't give you, such as network time, paging, speakerphones, talkback and lots of hardware buttons for "1-click access" to limitless asterisk features.  Any legacy PBX is also going to be compatible with your analog devices such as mailing machines (modems) and Faxes (if you still use them) via their 'synchronous' (not-packetized) ATA's or analog 'ports'.

Consider how cheap SOLID STATE Norstar equipment is for example.  A few hundred bucks for a perfectly good PRI-equipped decommissioned system that is DISKLESS & FANLESS (read high availability) along high-quality speakerphone endpoints for virtually nothing (on eBay), or dirt-cheap 'refurb' equipment that is tested & warranted.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the power & flexibility of a POE managed switch & IP endpoints, and without a doubt a pure-analog system is far simpler, but if you have cost constraints or physical constraints, and want more functionality that pure-analog can give you, an asterisk-equipped legacy PBX is a powerful, flexible option that should not be overlooked.

-Karl