[asterisk-users] permit/deny in sip.conf iax.conf

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 15:40:08 CDT 2010

Does anyone know the rationale behind why deny/permit values can not be
specified in 'general' setting of sip.conf & iax.conf

In other words, if I want to deny everyone, then allow selectively permit
specific hosts or subnets, I can't do so without first deny'ing all in EVERY
user/peer definition.  Too verbose.

Naturally I can accomplish this using templates, but it DOES seem a bit odd
since [general] is in essence ALREADY a 'template' of sorts for all
parameters not otherwise specified.

Is there an architectural reason for this or do I misunderstand a concept
somewhere?

-K