[asterisk-users] Setting up RTP to flow between endpoints directlybypassingAsterisk

Thu Mar 18 10:55:12 CDT 2010

Hi Jeff!

Looks like the term "native bridging" is a bit overloaded.

Some text from channel.h:
         -# When the call is answered, Asterisk bridges the media streams
            so the caller on the first channel can speak with the callee
            on the second, outbound channel
         -# In some cases where we have the same technology on both
            channels and compatible codecs, a native bridge is used.
            In a native bridge, the channel driver handles forwarding
            of incoming audio to the outbound stream internally, without
            sending audio frames through the PBX.
         -# In SIP, theres an "external native bridge" where Asterisk
            redirects the endpoint, so audio flows directly between the
            caller's phone and the callee's phone. Signalling stays in
            Asterisk in order to be able to provide a proper CDR record
            for the call.

See also
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2010-March/043052.html

klaus