[asterisk-dev] Native Bridging: terminology

Thu Mar 18 10:01:00 CDT 2010

Hi!

What is the exact meaning of "native bridging"? For example I know with
DAHDI it means direct bridging on the hardware. But what about from one
DAHDI interface card to another DAHDI card? Are there some optimizations
that the audio stays within the kernel module or is it always send via
Asterisk's core?

Or in case of a SIP-to-SIP call with canreinvite=no. Will there be some
optimizations that audio stays within the rtp module or will it be sent
via Asterisk's core? If there are such optimizations - is this called
direct bridging or is direct bridging the RTP exchange between clients
directly using canreinvite=yes (which I would not call direct bridging
but "offload" or "bypass")? Or is this the "external native bridge"?

thanks
klaus