[asterisk-users] asterisk fax handeling

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 17 23:11:31 CDT 2010

> Am 17.03.2010 10:40, schrieb Peter den Hartog:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering if the following was possible:
> > When somebody sends a fax to my direct number 0101234567105 (my
> > extension will be 105) is it possible that Asterisk, or an addon sees
> > this as a fax, and e-mail the fax to me?
> > So everybody with a private extension will be able to receive faxes in
> > his e-mailbox on his direct number.
>
> Yes, that should work (at least with 1.6.2):
>
> 1. Enable fax detection on the inbound channel, e.g. sip.conf:
>
> ; FAX detection will cause the SIP channel to jump to the 'fax'
> extension (if it exists)
> ; when a CNG tone is detected on an incoming call.
> ;
> ; faxdetect = yes              ; Default false
>

> chan_dahdi.conf:
> ; For fax detection, uncomment one of the following lines.  The default
> is *OFF*
> ;
> ;faxdetect=both
> ;faxdetect=incoming
> ;faxdetect=outgoing
> ;faxdetect=no
>

> Further, put a "fax" extension in the context where you handle the fax,
> e.g. forward to Hylafax are receive directly with ReceiveFAX().
>
> IIRc the originaly dialed number will be written in the variable
> FAXEXTEN. Thus, you can send the fax to the respective email address
> based on FAXEXTEN.
>
> regards
> klaus

As IMHO, fax detection needs callee to answer the incoming call, how should
I proceed to get a pre-recorded audio file played ("You're bout to receive
an incoming fax call") to callee while the incoming fax call is converted
into a fax file ?

My understanding of Asterisk dialplan is :
- a fax call comes in from channel A,
- appropriate extension is dialed through channel B,
- user answers and channels A and B are bridged,
- Asterisk detects the call is a fax call and then :
--- 1. stops channel B
--- 2. jumps into dialplan fax priority

Is it possible to play a message on channel B before stopping ?

Regards

makes me think that as soon as a fax is detected, the receiving channel is
stopped