[asterisk-users] asterisk fax handeling

Wed Mar 17 05:17:04 CDT 2010

Am 17.03.2010 10:40, schrieb Peter den Hartog:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if the following was possible:
> When somebody sends a fax to my direct number 0101234567105 (my
> extension will be 105) is it possible that Asterisk, or an addon sees
> this as a fax, and e-mail the fax to me?
> So everybody with a private extension will be able to receive faxes in
> his e-mailbox on his direct number.

Yes, that should work (at least with 1.6.2):

1. Enable fax detection on the inbound channel, e.g. sip.conf:

; FAX detection will cause the SIP channel to jump to the 'fax'
extension (if it exists)
; when a CNG tone is detected on an incoming call.
;
; faxdetect = yes              ; Default false

chan_dahdi.conf:
; For fax detection, uncomment one of the following lines.  The default
is *OFF*
;
;faxdetect=both
;faxdetect=incoming
;faxdetect=outgoing
;faxdetect=no

Further, put a "fax" extension in the context where you handle the fax,
e.g. forward to Hylafax are receive directly with ReceiveFAX().

IIRc the originaly dialed number will be written in the variable
FAXEXTEN. Thus, you can send the fax to the respective email address
based on FAXEXTEN.

regards
klaus