[asterisk-users] Polycom DHCP Option 66 FTP provisioning

Sean Brady sbrady at gtfservices.com
Wed Mar 17 18:43:16 CDT 2010

Is anyone successfully using DHCP option 66 to specify an FTP [sic]
provisioning of Polycom Sounpoint phones instead of TFTP?  I know option 66
is typically used TFTP booting, but the Polycom doc doesn't appear to
specify that option 66 implies TFTP instead of FTP (since you explicitly
call out the protocol).  TFTP option 66 booting was working fine.

Does anyone know whether FTP provisioning of Polycom definitely requires a
custom DHCP option like 160?

Usually in a situation like this I'd just creatively try different things in
a divide-and-conquer approach to find something that works.  However in THIS
case the phone tries to contact the boot server for SO LONG that the
aforementioned 'brute-force' option would take me a decade.

Therefore I'm trolling for tips, which would be very mcuh appreciated!

Thanks!
-Karl

Use option 66.  This is from my dhcpd.conf:

	option boot-server code 66 = string;

The later on in the file:

	option boot-server "ftp://someone:stuffyoudontneedtoknow@my.ip.ad.dy

Hope this helps.  My poly's are working fine.