[asterisk-users] Asterisk as a skinny/sccp "client"?

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Wed Mar 17 10:56:57 CDT 2010

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I wonder if Asterisk's skinny/sccp channel driver could be used as a
> "client" to register with a Cisco PBX.  That is, along with a SIP
> client, say, have Asterisk and said SIP client stand in for a Cisco
> phone, or an IP Communicator.
>
> Anyone done this?
>
> Cheers,
> b.

No, this isn't currently possible.  I did ponder this for a while, but my
conclusion was that the effort required to do so would far outweigh any benefit
you'd gain from it.

Cisco has been moving to SIP for a very long time.  There aren't any phone
features that Asterisk could emulate that would make this any better than SIP
(or even anything approaching parity).