[asterisk-users] ExtenSpy Problem

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 14:33:25 CDT 2010

David Backeberg wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> David Backeberg wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk> wrote:
>>> You didn't mention version. Could be relevant.
>>>

>> Apologies for not adding the version, it's 1.4.17
>>

> Yeah, that's relevant.
>

>> I will try ChanSpy to see what happens and post the results but it
>> doesn't really do what I need whereas ExtenSpy does (the functionality
>> is required for a call centre to listen in on incoming calls and they
>> are not the only people using the asterisk server i.e. hosted VoIP for
>> multiple customers and using RealTime to boot).
>>

> Do it on a test machine first. ChanSpy on 1.4.17 while running
> MixMonitor may crash asterisk. You might want to consider upgrading to
> latest 1.4 while you're at it to avoid the possible crash.

I always work on a test machine, we have a production environment, and
test environment and a development environment. We're using the latest
stable ubuntu version so upgrading is not really an option.

There are currently over 1500 sip extension attached to the production
server and close to 200 numbers coming in to their own dial plans. Any
version upgrade would have to be done by itself outside of any other
development to make sure that nothing breaks.
> I do realize you want ExtenSpy because that's the way you originally
> planned it. I will let you know that ChanSpy works if you can come up
> with a clever way to demonstrate which Chan to Spy on. And yes, I use
> it in a call center environment, while running MixMonitor, on 1.6.0.
> series

I'm sure I can think up some way to use ChanSpy. I was more hoping that
the issue I was having with ExtenSpy was familiar to someone as I can't
see that I'm doing anything wrong. I really want to be able to tell that
customer to dial 5 or any other arbitrary number and then the extension
number they wish to listen in on as that would be a very user friendly
system.

Thanks

Ish