[asterisk-users] Asterisk on MPLS VPN

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Sat Mar 13 12:11:41 CST 2010

On Saturday 13 March 2010 09:56:23 Sriram wrote:
> Sorry, 172.16.0.1 is the local IP address and it is connected to the MPLS
> Router whose WAN interface is 10.224.6.121.this is for first NIC. Second
> NIC has a public IP. Now if I ping yahoo.com I get a reply and if I ping
> the 10.224.6.121 it just hangs on (no response). If I do ifup eth0 and fire
> ping yahoo.com I don't get any response but I get reply on 10.224.6.121

Generally with MPLS, the packets themselves cannot have any IP addresses
other than the addresses for the endpoints.  So what you need to do is to use
a tunneling protocol for any packets which must be relayed beyond the MPLS
infrastructure.  My personal favorite is openvpn, since knowing that tool can
assist in creating cross-platform VPNs with outside computers.  However,
openvpn can additionally merely encapsulate local connections through your
MPLS infrastructure.  Remember that you need to set the source IP for any
packets traveling through MPLS (using the 'ip route' command and the 'src'
argument).

--
Tilghman Lesher