[asterisk-users] Phones won't stop ringing

Chris Owen owenc at hubris.net
Wed Mar 10 20:27:44 CST 2010

We're having an issue that isn't easily googleable so I thought I might might try here.

We have several customers who want all their extensions to ring on incoming calls.   Frankly I think it is craziness to ring 11 extensions all at once but that is how they want it.

We're doing this by creating an incoming route that goes to a hunt list containing all the extensions.

This normally works fine but occasionally when someone picks up the call other phones don't seem to realize the call has been answered and will continue to ring.   On at least once occasion I saw a call that went to voicemail and all the phones continued to ring.   When this happens the phones will continue to ring forever.   The only way to stop them from ringing is to pickup the handset at which time they realize there is no call and reset.

I'm pretty sure the underlying cause of this problem is funkiness in their network but it just seems to happen too easily and then once it stops it won't stop.    Even if this is caused by network issues is there anything I can do to mitigate the problem.   Just seems wrong that the phones would continue to ring forever.

Chris