[asterisk-users] multiple RTP port ranges for SIP

Wed Mar 10 10:27:44 CST 2010

On 10.03.2010 16:35, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> We are coordinating a connection to a SIP provider who told us they use
> two port ranges for RTP, 7000-8000 and 10000-20000.

They use these ports. So there is nothing you have to do on Asterisk
side to handle this, as Asterisk's RTP ports are different from your
provider's RTP ports.

Only if you have a restictive firewall you should open the ports used by
your provider.

> We've never encountered that before (and I believe rtp.conf only
> supports a single range). We can obviously setup 7000-20000 within
> RTP.conf, but I'm wondering if there is any other significance to this
> config?

As said above: no.

> The other end is using an asterisk server too, so how can they be using
> a split range like that? I believe the originator requests the ports for
> RTP...

That's weird. AFAIK Asterisk does not allow multiple ranges. Maybe they
are having 2 ranges for RTP and UDPTL (T.38). Asterisk allow
configuration of different ranges for UDPTL and RTP (although it
shouldn't be a problem to configure the same ports in rtp.conf and
udptl.conf)

regards
klaus