[asterisk-users] Hardware requirements question.

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Mar 5 11:26:22 CST 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Steve Edwards wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, David Little wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Dell PowerEdge 4300 server with dual Zenon 550 MHz processors,
>>> SCSI controller with four 9MB drives and 1 GB of RAM. I want to develop
>>> an asterisk pbx with 4 POTS lines in and 16 analog extensions (no VOIP).
>>> I also will install a sound card for an intercom. Is this hardware
>>> sufficient if  using a Digium TDM2400P?
>>
>> Since I'm happy doing that (or something similar) on a 1GHz processor with
>> 256MB of RAM, I'd suggest that your box is somewhat over-specced....
>>
>> It'll keep the room warm though.
>
> What's a MHz?
>
> This sounds like a really old box he just happens to have laying around...

Doh! :) Looks like I missed that bit!

Wow - 1GB of RAM in an old 550 MHz Xeon box. I've just given one of these
away too - only had 256MB of RAM though!

Actually, I reckon it'll work just fine though - I do all my testing on a
very old 550MHz VIA system, and have production boxes on 500MHz Geode
boxes, so make sure the distro is as lean as possible and off you go...

Gordon