[asterisk-users] Denial of Service Attack

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Fri Mar 5 10:45:44 CST 2010

On Friday 05 March 2010 10:17:27 Dan Journo wrote:
> I currently have a dedicated server with a hosting provider for my voip and
> the provider is currently experiencing a DOS attack. I have been looking at
> purchasing a number of servers and creating my own VOIP setup with
> redundancy built in.
>
> However, how I can design the system to ensure services remain online in
> the event a DOS attack is launched?
>
> I use Polycom phones which can connect to two sip servers, so would I
> simply have to take down the affected SIP server so that all calls are
> routed through the backup server? Or is there a better way of doing things?

Best possible method would be to distribute your servers across many different
networks, such that a DOS against all of your servers is effectively a DOS on
the entire Internet.  Then it becomes an issue for your upstream provider(s).
Your upstream provider(s) would need to be involved in mitigating a DOS
attack, anyway.

--
Tilghman Lesher