[asterisk-users] Server response time

Juan C. Villa juanqui at villafam.com
Tue Mar 2 10:29:23 CST 2010

On 3/2/2010 12:29 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Juan C. Villa wrote:
>

>> Gordon,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the detailed insights! I really appreciate it.
>> I'm gonna test drive a server in Germany today. The main reason for
>> choosing a server in Germany is COST ($65 vs $200).
>>
> I'm very surprised to hear that co-lo's in the US charge that much a month
> for a server. That must be one hellofa server and bandwidth package!
>
> I'd still be wary of sending media over the atlantic and back again though
> - it's a lot on Internet to rely on, even if the ping times are low
> enough.
>
> Gordon

I was very surprised with the price as well. The best package I could
find in the US was with a company called Server Beach (a Peer1 company).
And in Germany I found Hetzner. Check out these specs and prices:

Server Beach Specs:
1 x QuadCore
1 x 250gb drive
2 gb RAM
10mbps port (2T capped)
For: $99/mo ($0 setup)

Hetzner Specs:
1 x Intel Core i7 920 (Quad Core + HT)
2 x 750gb drive (software raid 1)
8 gb RAM
100mbps port (2T capped, 10mbps after the first 2T)
For: $65/mo ($200 setup)