[asterisk-users] Is answer() necessary ?

Håkon Nessjøen haakon at avelia.no
Mon Mar 1 04:50:16 CST 2010

You only need to answer() the call when you want to play audio, or
music on hold, receive dtmf, etc.
If you are just sending the incoming call to a Dial() or Queue(without
music on hold), you don't need to answer.
The receiving party will do the answering. This way the callee doesn't
need to pay for the 'ringing'.

If the call is coming in on a DAHDI connection, and you have a special
agreement with your telco, you can do something called "early audio".
To do this, you need to do Progress() call, and then remember to tell
the asterisk functions you are using, that they should not
automatically answer the call.
(Playback etc does this unless you explicitly tell it not to)
If you are connected to your telco via SIP, i'm not sure how this
works. I don't have any experience there. But I think it's about the
same.

About IVR-prompt and a queue.. Very few telcos, if any, let you
receive DTMF in early audio. I'm not sure if it is supported in
asterisk either. So I would say you always need to answer you call if
you are going to have IVR-prompts before a queue. Asterisk does this
for you anyways unless you tell it not to, when using functions like
Background and Playback.

Regards,
Håkon