[asterisk-users] Is answer() necessary ?

jonas kellens jonas.kellens at telenet.be
Mon Mar 1 04:22:45 CST 2010

Hello list,

is it necessary to properly answer() an incoming call ?

I don't want to answer a call because the caller has to pay even if the
attached SIP-phones do not answer the phone call. Because I answer() the
incoming call, the caller has to pay for 60 seconds of 'ringtone'.

On the other hand, sometimes an incoming call is send to a macro where
the caller is given the opportunity to leave a voicemail message. It's
to late to answer() the call in the macro, but I guess the
voicemail()-application automatically anwers the call ??

How about an IVR-prompt and a queue ? Do I need to answer the incoming
call before playing a voiceprompt and before sending it into a queue ??

Greetingz,
Jonas.