[asterisk-users] Error - Failed to extend from xxx to xxx

Stuart Elvish stuart.elvish at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 21:40:55 CDT 2010

Hi Tilghman

> Not having a notion of the actual issue, I have no idea what will solve it.

The notification occurs when the system is "idle" (ie taking and
making no calls) so the only logical conclusion is that it is handling
registration data when the notification is printed. Also, given that a
different number of error messages appear at different times, it would
appear that it relates to different blocks of equipment
re-registering. My only concern is if it turns into something more
serious than just warning messages and stops the system from working.
At the moment the client is adding more extensions so the system load
is increasing incrementally hence why the problem wasn't detected
initially in our testing.

> I can only point you to ast_str_helper() as being the cause of the message,
> which is the root function underlying the ast_str_set() and ast_str_append
> functions, which implement dynamic strings in Asterisk.

I had a look at the code in ast_str_helper (saw it before posting
because it matches the failed to extend search phrase) and seeing as
the buffer is dynamic, wouldn't it mean that the operating system /
kernel is restricting the buffer from expanding? Or is this
configurable in Asterisk at compile time, that is to say that Asterisk
sets the buffer size when it is compiled on the target machine based
on the current kernel / operating system settings? Or, does Asterisk
check this each time it reloads so it wouldn't be necessary to
recompile if we found a way to increase the buffer?

Thanks.
Stuart Elvish