[asterisk-users] Error - Failed to extend from xxx to xxx

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Sat Jun 26 12:47:34 CDT 2010

On Saturday 26 June 2010 04:28:18 Stuart Elvish wrote:
> I have a problem with Asterisk 1.6.1.6 realtime (MySQL databases
> hosted on a separate machine). When Asterisk is in verbose mode, it
> prints messages saying "failed to extend from 512 to 664" (quite a few
> lines in a block) and then the last message is mostly "failed to
> extend from 512 to 663". The number of lines varies unpredictably.

1.6.1.6 is pretty old, and you should, at a minimum, upgrade to the latest
1.6.1 release, which is 1.6.1.20.  There are a myriad of bugs that have been
corrected in that time.  That said, the 1.6.1 branch is in security mode.
Even if you found a legitimate bug, it is not going to be fixed in branch, and
there will be no more releases of the 1.6.1 branch, other than for security
fixes.

The exact error that you're looking at is a memory management issue.  A
dynamic buffer, which started as size 512, needed to be expanded, but the
memory allocation failed in some way, and this warning message was the
result.

--
Tilghman Lesher