[asterisk-users] one for your filters

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Wed Jun 23 13:20:18 CDT 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Tarek Sawah wrote:

> you can start by simply telling us what is the purpose of your server..
> and does it have long distance of overseas?? do you use Numeric
> usernames? simple passwords? passwords the same as your username? this
> way you can offer more info so we can help you.a quick answer will be..
> opening a few and blocking ALL is easier.. as you can have upto 400
> prefix to block .. unless you call world wide.. then you will have to
> block the countries you don't call .. another option.. make your
> usernames more complex.. letters and numbers.. an additional option is
> to use fail2ban with Asterisk support.. it will block the IP after the
> number of attempts you set in the configs. a client of mine wanted
> simple usernames and passwords to be setup using the keypad on the
> ipphones.. two months ago they had the same problem you faced.. 400$ to
> Zimbabway .. and later on 1200$ to Zimbabway.. their provider have a
> limit of 30 minutes per call .. so the caller had to redial.. unless
> it's automated.still you can provide us with more info.Regards
> -- Tarek Sawah

Well we run local dial tone service in the US Virgin Islands.  So our
customers are connecting with ATA's, various models of Polycom phones, and
SIP trunks from a custom PBX we sell to hotels and businesses.  They
connect from dynamic addresses most of the time, so we cannot apply any IP
based filters to their accounts, though we may be able to restrict them to
certain IP blocks.  I'd rather not, since the upkeep would be quite a
hassle, and would remove their ability to take their ATAs traveling.

Our SIP usernames are their seven digit phone numbers, which may have been
a bad choice, but most of the brute force attacks we have witnessed are
trying combinations of 3 digit extension numbers.  I haven't seen anyone
try a brute force attack with 7 digits.  The passwords are seven char
auto-generated alpha-numeric "gibberish", and it seems rather unlikely to
me that this account was broken by brute force trial and error.  I'm still
investigating other methods... like perhaps they broke into my server
first and found the provisioning files.  That would be bad.

All of that aside - I know there are various things I can do to tighten up
our SIP security.

My question was more geared towards what do people do to keep their
customers or employees from dialing toll numbers worldwide?  I cannot
restrict my customers to calling a set of countries.  But I would feel
justified in blocking toll numbers that I don't have a way of billing
back.  I just don't know where to start to build such a filter list.
Surely other ITSPs have had to deal with this issue - fraud situations or
not.  The US is easy - all toll numbers start with 1-900 (I think :).
Other countries are not so straightforward I understand.

Has anyone else tackled this problem?

Thanks,