[asterisk-users] ISP down internal phones become unavailable

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 10:25:21 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Mr Shunz <mrshunz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>> I have a PRI, and when the Internet connection goes out so do my
>> phones.  I suspect it is some type of DNS issue.  I do have a SIP
>> trunk, and it appears that if I lose DNS to the SIP trunk, the entire
>> PBX is offline.  I have no actual proof of any of this, and have not
>> done any extensive testing to prove or disprove this.
>
> well, we have various asterisk installations, ranging from 1.4.25
> to (upgraded today) 1.4.33 (we don't use 1.6.X yet) and two
> of them show this behaviour...
> one is upgraded to 1.4.33, the other is 1.4.30, they have similar configuration
> to all the other machines (which work flawlessy even when connection
> is down), and the phones are the same brand/model we use everywhere,
> with almost the same configuration.
>
> I'm not sure about a DNS issue because all our customers have local
> DNS/cache servers and we configure all the phones (and sip trunks
> on asterisks) with ip addresses and not FQDNs just to be sure...
>
> what we see is when the trunk goes down, i.e.
> 'Registration for XXXXXXX at YY.YY.YY.YY timed out, trying again (Attempt #ZZ)'
> we have also 'Peer XXX is now UNREACHABLE (internal phones), even if they
> are pingable/accessibile on the LAN...
>>
>> --
>>

> --
> Daniele Santi       .o.
> daniele at santi.vr.it ..o () ascii ribbon campaign
> Linux User #415108  ooo /\  www.asciiribbon.org

It is interesting that you are seeing this on different machines with
the same Asterisk version. There must be something different in the
configuration or DNS. However Asterisk should gracefully handle no DNS
or a SIP provider issue without affecting the phones. I haven't been
able to troubleshoot this much since I can't just take the Internet
connection down.

Ryan