[asterisk-users] Unregister and register SIP phones by using num pad on phones?

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Jun 22 08:26:45 CDT 2010

Hi!

> A couple of years ago, I worked with a Alcatel IP pbx and Alcatel Sip
> phones, and we had the opportunity to unregister user by typing *-a
> number and -* again, ex * 99 *, and then the phone number/sip extension
> was unavailable

It is entirely up to you to design the Asterisk dialplan this way; many
implementations have created such a "roving user" one way or another.
Some more complex solutions also re-provision the phones (e.g.
"Gemeinschaft") accordingly, while others simply make the extension
available/unavailable.

I am sure that the Wiki at voip-info.org has some examples.

There are also phones that support "hot-desking" (the SNOMs do, for
example), but usually I find that to be too complicated for the end user.

Philipp