[asterisk-users] Compiling H323

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Jun 21 02:39:47 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 07:55:07PM -0400, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> And after cleaning everything 323/pwlib/ptlib related, and reinstalling ptlib and h323plus, I can't even get asterisk to compile chan_h323 anymore.  Perhaps something old was left over.
>
> My .configure run shows:
> checking /usr/src/openh323plus/h323plus/../pwlib/version.h usability... no
> checking /usr/src/openh323plus/h323plus/../pwlib/version.h presence... no
> checking for /usr/src/openh323plus/h323plus/../pwlib/version.h... no
> checking /root/pwlib/include/ptlib.h usability... yes
> checking /root/pwlib/include/ptlib.h presence... yes
> checking for /root/pwlib/include/ptlib.h... yes
> checking if PWLib version 2.4.5 is compatible with chan_h323... yes
> and
> checking h323.h usability... no
> checking h323.h presence... no
> checking for h323.h... no
>
> Anyone got good advice?  I can make ooh323 work but a bug with faststart (in h323) is forcing me to another h323 stack.  Is there a way to make opal+pwlib from centos packages work?  (trick asterisk .configure to accept them)?

Not really. My experience is different:

H.323plus:

  http://bugs.debian.org/586541

(Mostly a Debian packaging issue, but I'm still not sure where this BOOL
is supposed to come from)

And then there is the other fork of OpenH323 - OPAL. Unlike H323Plus it
maintains the full bloat of openh323 (everything you need for Ekiga).
But it seems to have a saner build system. Sadly, Asterisk already has
to jump through hoops to build chan_h323. So using the checking for the
saner alternative seems to make things even more complex:

  https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17226

And yet, my first impression is that those libraries are not compatible
enough (see https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17226#123634 ). Or
am I missing some compatibility layer?

BTW: Please check the following as well. While I strongly suspect it is
Debian-specific, it should be simple to check (ldd
channels/chan_h323.so)

  https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17162

--
               Tzafrir Cohen