[asterisk-users] Linksys SPA94x keep-alive reply replies to wrong address (1.4.32)

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 12:49:56 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM, James Lamanna <jlamanna at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hello james,
>>>
>>> in the SPA config webpage on EXT 1 in the Nat Keep Alive MSG you should
>>> set $OPTIONS instead of $NOTIFY.
>>>
>>> then in your asterisk extension default context just set this:
>>>
>>> exten => s,1,Hangup
>>>
>>> then the phone will send a options packet and you will get a 200 OK
>>> instead of 489 Bad event.
>>>
>>> this should help.
>>>
>>> best regards
>>
>> Thanks Steve,
>> I'll give that a try.
>> I think I'll also look into why responses to NOTIFYs don't do the
>> right thing in terms of NAT either.
>>

>>> steve
>>
>> -- James
>>

> I have created an issue report on this a few weeks on with Asterisk
> 1.6.2.8-rc1. This was happening on a client site, which I didn't have
> a chance to stop back by, so they closed the issue.
>
> https://issues.asterisk.org/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=17379
>
> It looked to me like Asterisk was rejecting the NOTIFY message due to
> no callid, which is in the message. I couldn't figure out what was
> going and there is code in 1.6.2.x to return a 200 OK to a NOTIFY
> message.
>
> Ryan

Interesting. I'm still on the 1.4.x series (and I don't plan on
upgrading until 1.8.x is out), but my issue, without the workaround
that Steve suggested above, is that the NOTIFY Bad Event reply does
not seem to respect NAT for some reason. Whether it doesn't look up
the peer properties or what I'm not sure, but I plan on doing a
thorough investigation with 1.4.32 this week to see what is indeed
going on.

Problems like this, and some other issues I've reported (where a
channel can get stuck Up if a phone goes Unavailable while in
Ringing), makes me lean more and more to moving to OpenSIPs for
handling device registrations.

-- James