[asterisk-users] Why asterisk down when inet server down?

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sat Jun 19 04:29:04 CDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 21:04 -0400, Andres wrote:

> Our company has set up hundreds of asterisk boxes over the years.  One
> thing we learned early on was to avoid any type of DNS resolution by
> asterisk.  Asterisk gets hung when it can't access your DNS server and
> all things grind to a halt (ie, phones can't register).
>
> The two things we make sure to do on any new installation is to:
> 1)  use only IP addresses in all the config files.
> 2)  set "srvlookup = no" in sip.conf.
>
> Try those 2 things out and then remove the internet connection from your
> server.  Check and see if call processing works normally.  If it
> doesn't, do a tcpdump or ngrep capture to see what DNS queries are being
> done and figure out why.

I disagree.
If you want to change an address, you have to change it on lots of
places, and you allways forget one ir two.

For maintenace purposes it a real PITA if people keep using addresses
everywhere. There should only be _one_ place where addresses are used
and that is in your _local_ name server. DHCP will ditribute realm and
the address of you nameserver to any clients.

If your bind is working properly (and that is something to take
seriously) it just should works.

Not only for asterisk, but for dhcp, mail, vpn, nfs, smb, apache, ldapm,
iptables, kerberos and god knows what else. DNS is always the first
thing that should work without a hitch, If possible with failover.

Any minute you invest in bind will pay back in avoiding hours or days
troubleshooting elsewhere....