[asterisk-users] Why asterisk down when inet server down?

Andres andres at telesip.net
Fri Jun 18 20:04:41 CDT 2010

On 6/18/2010 7:26 PM, sean darcy wrote:
> On 06/18/2010 06:19 PM, Cary Fitch wrote:
>

>> But why can't my phones call. The outgoing lines are PRI/DAHDI T1. No
>> sip. No iax. Why does the asterisk machine have to resolve any address?
>>
>> The internal phones can't even call each other, even though they have
>> hard ip addresses.
>>

>>> Same for doing DHCP for handing out addresses to your phones...
>>>

>> All the phones have manual ip addresses. No DHCP.
>>
>> sean
>>
>> Do the phones find the sip server by IP or by domain name.
>>
>> I.e.   1.1.1.1
>> Or     sip.yourdomain.com
>>
>> If domain name, what are they using for DNS?
>>
>> Cary Fitch
>>

> The sip proxy server and the sip registrar server are both set to
> 10.10.10.180.
>
> sean

Our company has set up hundreds of asterisk boxes over the years.  One
thing we learned early on was to avoid any type of DNS resolution by
asterisk.  Asterisk gets hung when it can't access your DNS server and
all things grind to a halt (ie, phones can't register).

The two things we make sure to do on any new installation is to:
1)  use only IP addresses in all the config files.
2)  set "srvlookup = no" in sip.conf.

Try those 2 things out and then remove the internet connection from your
server.  Check and see if call processing works normally.  If it
doesn't, do a tcpdump or ngrep capture to see what DNS queries are being
done and figure out why.

Andres
http://www.neuroredes.com