[asterisk-users] Dual Atom mobo - call capacity

Paul Hayes paul at provu.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 09:48:15 CDT 2010

On 11/06/10 01:19, Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I'm looking for a small formfactor mobo for an install that needs to handle 25 phone sets (no transcoding).  I found a new dual atom 1.66GHz mobo - anyone know what kinds of call volume that will handle?
>
> MD

Any of the Atom CPU systems will /easily/ handle 25 concurrent calls
(and with a 25 extension system, 25 concurrent calls is very unlikely).
  I use the single core Atom 230 CPUs for systems of this size.
Something to bear in mind is how the system will be used, max concurrent
calls isn't really that great a performance factor, call arrival rates
are more relevant, the CPU time is spent setting up and tearing down
calls.  Simply having calls in progress with no transcoding uses a tiny
amount of CPU in comparison to the work involved setting up and routing
a new call.

cheers,
Paul.