[asterisk-users] About Sangoma cards and Asterisk integration with other PBX

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Jun 2 21:12:08 CDT 2010

Daniel Bareiro wrote:
> <SNIP SNIP>
> Thanks for the explanation and clarification of nomenclature. And in what cases it would be correct to use the RJ designation?
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

RJ is short for Registered Jack. Strictly speaking it is only correct
when it is an interface to the PSTN.
An RJ11 is a Registered Jack interface for a single PSTN line, RJ14 for
two lines, and RJ25 for three lines. RJ21 is a 50 pin 66 style block
interface for up to 25 lines, often seen with orange covers with line
numbers written ( or not ) on the inside.
There are many others listed in earlier versions of the FCC part 68 regs
that are obsolete. Part 68  began in 1978 when all equipment connected
to the PSTN had to be either tested and certified and provided with a
registration number, or was grandfathered because it was already
connected. This program has fallen into disuse in recent times, as the
telcos seldom contend that modern equipment can do harm to the public
network.
Handset cords, since they are internal to a registered piece of
equipment, ( the telephone ) never had an RJ designation.

Improper use of RJ designations is rampant though, due to lazy or
ignorant folks who have no interest or education in the history of the
industry.
I also fight windmills in my spare time!

John Novack

--
Dog is my co-pilot