[asterisk-users] About Sangoma cards and Asterisk integration with other PBX

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Wed Jun 2 19:50:43 CDT 2010

Hi, John.

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 23:35:41 -0300, John Novack wrote:

>> Another thing I want to try is to connect Asterisk with Siemens PBX
>> so that the extensions on Asterisk can communicate with the
>> extensions on the Siemens PBX and vice versa. For this should I
>> connect a FXO channel on Asterisk with a FXS channel of Siemens PBX?

> That might be one way, though I would think, depending on the Siemens
> hardware, a T1 connection might be more flexible and provide better
> integration.

Lamentably, for the present, I do not believe that we buy a T1 card for
Asterisk. As I said in another message of this thread, when trying to
communicate with an extension of the Siemens PBX, I obtain
"busy/congested".

When searching on the Internet if Asterisk requires some special
configuration to interact with this type of PBX, I found that some
Siemens models use proprietary protocols [1], although I'm not sure if
the problem I'm having is because of it. Our PBX has two parts. I have
understood that the smallest box (than it is on the other) is the DISA.
If it serves as something, in the later part it has model 7655.

>> I noticed that, unlike OpenVox A400P card, RJ connectors on the
>> Sangoma A200 card are smaller.

> Correct. They are NOT RJ connectors, but 4 position 4 pin modular
> sockets, as used on US handsets. A better choice, IMO, as the 6
> position 4 pin modular sockets can have the release tangs easily
> caught in the slot. A200 cards are provided when new, with adapter
> cords that have 4 position sockets on one end and 6 position on the
> other.

>> Apparently, the OpenVox use standard telephone connectors.

> As do the Digium cards.
>
> NOTE: Using the RJ designation is not correct, though it is widely
> misused. RJ is an FCC designation for Registered Jack, and refers to the
> wiring scheme for various interconnections to the public switched network.
> there are 4 position, 6 position 8 position, and seldom seen 10 position
> modular plugs and sockets. The 4 position was only used, other  than the
> Sangoma A200, for handsets on modular telephones, and never for PSTN
> connection, and never had an RJ designation. Misinformation available on
> the Internet  shows various designations.

Thanks for the explanation and clarification of nomenclature. And in
what cases it would be correct to use the RJ designation?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens+Hicom