[asterisk-users] Persuing the gtalk issue - not only jack-related

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Wed Jun 2 13:57:28 CDT 2010

Hello everyone!
  So I hacked app_jack.c today, as best I could. Whic came mostly down to
inserting ast_log() messages.
   I discovered the following with JACK:
   When it starts, it tries to read 512 bytes and only gets 0. That clears up
after a while.
   Sometimes a good time later than the reading comes the writing. And there
the real strangeness might begin. Because usually the framebuffer of JACK is
set in power of two. But I see, that app_jack wants to write 3844 (31*31*2*2),
yet it fails!
   Now I found out, that I can phone now. BUT: Theother party reaches me quite
clear, after a few seconds of horrible white noise, with frequencies above
8kHz. Yet I come through all hacked or very slow.
   The slowness also happens to my voicemail. So if someone gets the voicemail,
the sound is slow. As if it was timestretched. I don't think it's even changed
in pitch. I looked at the voicemail sound files again and the quality (8kHz,
mono, 16bit) looks good.
   Can it be a gtalk problem? Does gtalk not use 8kHz?
   Which codec does gtalk use? May it be, that it's one of the external codecs
and they are somehow broekn at my end?
   Kindly yours
            Julien

--------